Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner - Downsized to a Tenderloin!



This year was the first Thanksgiving that my husband and I have spent on our own in 32 years.  YIKES!  Our first Thanksgiving was spent with my husbands family so this is truly going to be different for us!  My daughter said, "That's going to be weird."  Actually, I think it will be nice!

Since it will just be the two of us I decided to just make a Turkey Tenderloin instead of a whole turkey.  I picked one up at Walmart for a very good price and pulled out my trusty recipe book and found an easy and quick way to prepare this delicious piece of meat.  The fact that it cooked in about 1 hour was a plus as well!   Here is all you need to do:


Not to go off topic before I even start but I thought you should see what I was viewing out my kitchen window while I cooked Thanksgiving dinner.  So peaceful!

Back to the Tenderloin.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.


Remove the plain, fresh turkey tenderloin from it's package and rinse it with cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel.


To baste the tenderloin with Olive Oil I first pour a few tablespoons into a small glass bowl.  As I dip my basting brush into this bowl after brushing my Turkey Tenderloins, I am keeping the cross contamination to a minimum.   This is important!  As soon as I am done I immediately put the basting brush and bowl in the sink and wash them by hand with very hot water and anti-bacterial dish soap.


Baste your tenderloins!


Lightly Salt and Pepper the Tenderloins.


Pour 1 Cup of Low Sodium Chicken Broth into the bottom of the baking dish.  I actually pour a little bit on top of the meat to help keep it moist and then add the rest to the bottom of the dish.

Place your baking dish with the Tenderloins in your preheated oven and let it cook for about 40 - 50 minutes, depending on how large your Tenderloins are.  Mine weighed 1 1/2 pounds so I actually kept mine in for about an hour.

Your Tenderloins are done when the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees.  Just stick a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the Tenderloin and make sure that it reads at least 165 degrees.  When done, take the baking dish out and let it sit on the stove with a piece of foil on top to keep the moisture and heat in for at least 10 minutes.  This will let the juices redistribute before you cut the meat.


And this is what you get.



Well, not the stuffing, that is for another recipe!  Lightly golden brown, tender, juicy and almost melts in your mouth.  We loved it and there was plenty for left overs - which everyone knows is the most important part of Thanksgiving Dinner!

The beauty of Turkey Tenderloins is not only that they cook quickly but also that you can prepare it in so many ways including marinating the meat in a large Ziploc bag before cooking.  You can't do this with a whole Turkey!  One of my favorites is 1/4 Cup of Olive Oil, 1 Whole Fresh Squeezed Lemon, a Sprig of fresh Tyme and Salt and Pepper.  Let the meat marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and your Tenderloins will be delicious! 

Give Turkey Tenderloins a try.  Not only are they quick and easy to make but they are delicious!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...