Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Homecoming

 Driving to Newark Airport to pick up Elizabeth. 

One of the easiest ways to deal with people stepping out of your life for a short or long period of time is to think and prepare for the time when they will step back into it.  I'm a mother so I dislike goodbyes more than anything else and I dread them until they are over.  

Max, Jennifer and I have been talking about this day for weeks and we knew that Elizabeth was not as excited to come home as we were to see her but it was time for her to come home and we are so excited.  Jennifer and I were nearly inconsolable in the car - it was a dangerous drive!

My girls.

Her plane was on time but when international flights come in, it takes considerably longer for passengers to deplane than for domestic flights so we waited  for almost an hour before we saw Elizabeth coming down the ramp.  I have to say that every time in my life as a mother that I have welcomed someone home, no matter how long they have been gone, my breath has literally been taken away.  That feeling of that first sight of someone after a long separation, the first hug and the first words that are uttered are priceless.

 Me and my baby.

I couldn't wait to hug her and talk to her about all her adventures.  We have been Skyping with her for the last few months but there's nothing like sitting down and just talking to someone and letting the conversation flow.   But just to be together, for not matter how long is a gift!


I think this is what it will be like one day when we each return to our Heavenly Father and the ones who have gone before us.  There will be joy, hugs and love shared between us and all those who have paved the way for us in this life and they will cheer that fact that we too have made it!

Elizabeth and her bud Monica.  The sweetest girl ever!

I'm so thankful for the experiences Elizabeth has had these last few months and for the good friends who have shared in this trip of a lifetime with her.  And I am proud of Elizabeth and the beautiful, accomplished woman she is becoming.  

I love you, Elizabeth.  Welcome home!

Mum


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...