Friday, December 26, 2014

Sweet Potato Souffle


I posted my mother-in-law's recipe, Glea's Easy Holiday Yams, a few weeks ago which has been a staple in our house for years and always will be but there is another Sweet Potato recipe that I wanted to share because it is delicious.  My daughter Elizabeth is home for a few days and we were doing our holiday baking and whipped this up.  It is really easy to make and a great recipe to help someone with their kitchen skills.  It is the day after Christmas so I will make this short!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.


Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.  Instead of boiling the sweet potatoes as I usually do I decided to just bake them in the oven and I got the same result - except the oven heated up my house which was nice!  I washed 6 LARGE Sweet Potatoes and placed them on a foil lined baking sheet and poked holes in each one with a fork.  It is best to choose potatoes of the same size and then make sure that they are large for this recipe.

Sweet Potatoes tend to leak a little bit of liquid as they bake and it can be hard to clean off of your cookie sheets so the foil catches this liquid.  You can just crumple up the foil, throw it away and then just put your baking sheet back on the shelf without having to wash it.  Wonderful!

 

After baking place your peeled and cooled 6 large Sweet Potatoes into your mixer bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.  You could eat them just like this but don't.  There are a few yummy things to add first!  Now when you add each of these items, add them one by one and mix until incorporated before adding the next ingredient.


Add your White Sugar and mix until combined.

 
Add the Eggs and continue to mix on low.
 

Add the Milk and keep that mixer running.


And last, add the teaspoon of Vanilla and mix until well combined and then turn the mixer off.


Pour the Sweet Potato mixture into your prepared baking dish.


In a separate bowl add your melted Butter, packed Brown Sugar, Flour and the chopped Pecans, or mixed nuts as I did. 


I didn't have any Pecans at home so I just used some Mixed Nuts that someone had given to us as a holiday gift.  Also, I added a little more butter than the recipe called for so the topping was pourable rather than sprinkleable but it turned out great.  The more liquid topping gave this dish a slightly crunchy topping but it was soft underneath and the more powdered topping is more like a "crisp" topping on an apple or peach pie.  So good!  Either way, you can't go wrong.


Pour the Topping mixture over the Sweet Potatoes in the baking dish and bake for 35 minutes and this is what you get.  Can you see that it looks like a candied topping?  It is just a very thin layer and gives this dish a gentle, crisp topping.

Give this recipe a try any time of the year.  I promise you will love it!

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...