Monday, August 18, 2014

Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and Whatever You've Got, Soup!


So when I got home today from Church what did I find on my doorstep but a great big bag of delicious home-grown vegetables!  I have been so busy this summer that I didn't have time to do a garden but my friend did and she has been oh so generous as to share the fruits of her labor.  Aren't I a lucky girl?  Anyway, when I saw this bag of hearty vegetables I decided that I had to make a big crock of soup - even though it is still August.  This is the coldest August I believe I have ever lived through here in Pennsylvania so I think it is appropriate for me to make soup!

Now most of the time when you see recipes for a Chicken soup it involves rice or noodles but I decided to switch it up since I had all the fresh vegetables and use potatoes.

My favorite thing to do is get it all in the Crock Pot early Sunday morning and then when we get home from Church, there it is all ready to go with very little effort from me.  I hate for anything to get in the way of my Sunday afternoon nap!

Here is what you need to do:


Chop up 3 or 4 large potatoes into medium sized chunks and throw them into the bottom of your crock.  I like lots of potatoes in anything I eat so I added an extra one, of course.


Peel and dice 3 large Carrots into medium sized chunks  Carrots take a long time to cook down and become tender so you will want to cut them on the smaller side.


I had some fresh corn so I removed the kernals from 2 ears.  The sweetest stuff!


Add the corn to your crock.


Peel and dice into small cubes 1 medium Onion.  If the people in your house don't like onions you can use just a very small amount or none at all.  I think it helps to flavor the Chicken so I use it.


Cut up 1 pound boneless/skinless Chicken Breasts and throw that into the Crock. For me that is about 2 - 3 Chicken Breasts because I try to find large ones on sale.


Add 2 teaspoons of Italian Seasoning.


Then add 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth and this is what it looks like.  It looks great but raw Chicken is anything but good so go ahead and crank your Crock Pot up to high if you have 3 - 4 hours or on low for 6 - 8 hours.


About 15 minutes before you are going to serve your soup, combine 1 cup of Milk (DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHOLE MILK PLEASE!) in a small bowl and then add 1 tablespoon Cornstarch and mix well.


Add this mixture to the soup after it has cooked and about 10 minutes before you are about to serve it.  This thickens it all up nicely without having a starchy taste.


And again, because it looks so good, this is what you get.  A great big pot of oh so yummy Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Soup!


The Chicken and all the vegetables are so tender and juicy and it is heavenly when it hits your tummy.  Give this soup a try with any combination of vegetables you like. You will be glad you did!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...