Monday, July 14, 2014

Kitchen Recipe Rescues!


The other day I decided to make this delicious peach cobbler that called for self-rising flour and of course, I didn't have any.  Ggggrrrrrr!  I didn't want to go to the store to just get a small bag of self-rising flour that I would probably not use the remainder of so I thought, what should I do?  Where should I turn?  Who would have the answer to this all important question?  Google, of course!

Every time I run up against a really unimportant problem like how to fix the toilet, how to spell something or how to make self-rising flour out of regular flour, I turn to Google.  Believe it or not, I have these kinds of problems all the time in the kitchen so I thought I would put together a list of kitchen rescues that are common and fairly easy to fix.

1 Cup of Buttermilk - Pour the following into a bowl, mix and let stand for 5 minutes before using.
1 Cup of Milk
4 teaspoons White Vinegar

To Make Self Rising Flour - Mix the following well with a wisk or sift together in a bowl.
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 T Baking Soda
1/2 t Salt

If You Need Corn Syrup - Mix the ingredients in the pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook on low until the mixture thickens. This usually takes about 3 minutes.  Store in a cool dry place in a glass or thick plastic container. Should be good for about 2 months.
1 1/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
1/3 Cup of Water
Heavy duty pot

If You Need a Clove of Fresh Garlic - Dry spices tend to be more pungent so you don't need as much.
Substitute 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder

If You Need One Egg for Baking  - Mix the following
1 teaspoon Cornstarch 
1 Cup of Water

When You Are Short of 1 Cup Butter or Margarine - Mix the following
Use 1 Cup Hard Shortening (Crisco)
OR 7/8 Cup of Vegetable Oil

When You Need 1 3/4 Cups of Confectioners Sugar
1 Cup Granulated Sugar - packed

Run Out of Brown Sugar - Mix these two ingredients in a small bowl
1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
2 Tablespoons Molasses

Is Cream In Short Supply At Your House - Mix these ingredients in a small bowl
1/3 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Milk

1 Cup Sour Cream - Mix in a bowl
1 Cup Plain Yogurt 
OR 3/4 Cups Sour Milk and 1/3 Cup Butter

These are just a few of the quick saves I have found useful in the kitchen.  If you have others, please share!  I would love to hear your thoughts on how to save a recipe from ruin when you don't have all the ingredients.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...