Monday, May 12, 2014

My Thoughts About Mother's Day

Three of my kids came home for my baby's graduation.

My Alex wasn't here for this special graduation/Mother's Day Weekend but we were able to FaceTime with him, Leanna and Grant.  Love!

I know that Mother's Day was yesterday but our family was busy celebrating the graduation of my youngest, Elizabeth so I was busy doing more important things.  A few weeks ago I was asked by a friend to give my thoughts on what my children do to make me feel loved and appreciated this Mother's Day. He was preparing a talk for a Mother's Day Church service and wanted my thoughts since I have older children. I was super excited to be asked but even more thrilled to share my thoughts on motherhood and what it means to me. As you will see below, I got a little long winded!

My children are all grown now - ages 30, 27, 23 and 21 so I am a "middle of the road mother." They aren't little and in my care anymore but they are graduating from college, starting new jobs and new lives in different states and starting families of their own but we are still close.   My life lights up when I talk to them on the phone or FaceTime with or see my beautiful grand babies and I feel that time truly stands still for me when we are communicating!

When my children were very small I absolutely loved every stage they were in. Babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers, elementary school, junior high and high school. I soaked up every minute of it and thought that when they grew to be adults, the mothering part would end for me somehow so I needed to enjoy where they were right then and there. When they grew up, they wouldn't be dependent on me anymore and would move on to things that interested them - and they have!

Don't get me wrong. We had some rough times when my little people got mad and there were arguments and times of stress. There were days when we all wanted to just leave the house but what we did was talk about the importance of our family and sticking together. If our girls were fighting and one was expressing more interest in a friend then in her sister, we would remind her that her friend would be a friend for only a time. Her sister would be her sister for all eternity and that is far more important. Make up! Love each other and have fun together!

One thing I didn't know would happen was that I would absolutely adore where they are now as adults and find great joy in talking to them as grown people, talking through the struggles of college life (not sure I was ever much help there), navigate the waters of a new job and how to be successful at it, see them marry and have children of their own and see them become wonderful parents. When we get together for holidays or special occasions it is one of the most enjoyable and sometimes very funny things to see how they all fall right back into their birth order to tease and have fun with each other. They are still the funny little kids they were before - just a little older! I LOVE that!

I also didn't know what great friends they would become to each other. In every way they support each other as brothers and sisters and encourage one another to push harder and be better. They have cheered each other in the gospel and their efforts to go on missions, be married in the temple and do temple work. This is one of the greatest blessings of all and has been oh so wonderful to see.

Today is Mother's Day and we are not at Church because our youngest daughter is graduating from college! And do you know where my other children are? They are sitting right next to my husband and I watching her finish this very important life journey. Loving, supporting and sharing one of life's hi-lites. They have traveled far to be here with her and I couldn't be prouder!

So what do my children do that makes me feel loved and appreciated? They honor me as a mother by trying to be the very best people they can be. They strive to be good children, loving grandchildren, good friends, loving father's (and mothers in the future!), the best of brother's and sisters, and loving and caring of their parents in every way possible. They aren't perfect - I know that!  But they are trying and that is what matters to me!

It has been a joy and a blessing to be their mother.


From the time that I was very young the only thing I wanted to do was be a mother. When I say it was the ONLY thing I ever wanted to do I mean that it was my focus in life.  I thought about what kind of mother I would be.  I thought about what my house would look like, what my husband would look like (he looks pretty much the way I imagined him!), what my kids would look like and how great my life would be. Everything I did was in preparation for that day.  It hasn't all worked out perfectly but I am happy with it all.

As I spend this Mother's Day with my husband and 3 of my 4 children, I will cherish this time and lock it away in my memory for these precious moments are what Mother's Day were made for.

Happy Mother's Day - EVERYONE!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...