Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Stick to Your Ribs Mustard Roasted New Potatoes


I will begin this post by letting everyone know who reads it that I love potatoes. They are my favorite food and I pretty much eat them every day.  To me it isn't a dinner if you don't have some sort of potato side dish for dinner, unless you are having pizza of course. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I have always thought that I should have been born in Idaho, the state where the greatest potatoes are grown, but alas, I was born in Maryland.  I married someone from Idaho, does that count?  Don't get me wrong, I love Maryland and it was a great place to grow up but I love the state of Idaho too.  In Idaho at harvest time, you can find some gigantic potatoes!  I'm not kidding.  Makes me hungry just writing about it.  

So since I ALWAYS have some sort of potatoes in my house, but preferably russets from Idaho, I am always looking for new and great ways to cook them.  They are a healthy and versatile vegetable.  Whether you have russets, Yukon Golds, Red New potatoes, Purple Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes, there are thousands of ways to prepare them.   And as long as you don't load them up with fattening things, they stay healthy.  Mine are usually loaded with lots of things but you don't really need to know that.   



Here is a quick and easy way to prepare any old sort of potato you may have in your pantry right now! 

Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees.



Scrub the potatoes and cut them into halves or quarters, depending on their size.  I used red potatoes this time because I got them for about 50 cents which is almost free so that is what I used.  Try to make sure they are all about the same size.  The larger the chunks of potato, the longer they will need to cook.



Slice the onion in half and then cut it in to 1/2 rings.



I always cover my baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.  



Place the potatoes and the onions on the baking sheet.


Sprinkle the olive oil over the potatoes and onions,


and then the whole grain mustard.



Now this looks really gross right now but this is what whole grain mustard looks like and it really is delicious so just dump it on.  Trust me!  Then add the salt and the pepper



and toss it all together.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the potatoes are lightly browned and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.  The larger the chunks of potato, the longer you will have to cook them.  Toss the potatoes and onions from time to time with a spatula while they are cooking so that they brown evenly.  

Give this simple dish a try and let me know what you think.  If you have any other variations on this dish, I would love to hear those too - just pop some thoughts into the Comments Section below.

Happy potato eating to you!

Mustard Roasted Potatoes
2 1/2 Pounds Potatoes (Any type or combination)
1/2 Yellow or Red Onion
3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 T Whole-Grain Mustard
Kosher Salt to Taste
1 t Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters, depending on their size, and place them on a sheet pan.  Remove the ends of the onions, peel them, and cut them in half.  Slice 1/2 of the onion in 1/4 inch-thick slices to make half-rounds.  Throw the potatoes and onions together onto the sheet pan.  Add the olive oil, mustard, 2 t salt and the pepper and toss them together. 

Bake for 40-45 minutes  or until the potatoes are golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside.  Toss the potatoes from time to time with a metal spatula so they brown evenly.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...