Wednesday, January 15, 2014

White Bean Dip w/Homemade Pita Chips


This is one of those recipes that I love because you can just throw it together quickly and most of the ingredients are already in your pantry and fridge.  This is great for a party, snack or hors d'oeuvre when you have to throw something together quickly for a last minute get together.  I saw this recipe here on the Food Network and it is a Giada DeLaurentis recipe that I found and made a few years ago.  Since then, I have made it several times and people always gobble it right up!  I love her stuff!


Before anyone notices in my pictures below, I will confess that I do not have a gigantic food processor but I wish that I did.  I have the mini size that I have had since the day I got married and it is still going strong. Because it is so small though, I have to divide my ingredients in half and mix twice.  That's okay though.  It keeps my math skills sharp!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees - this is for the pita chips.


In a food processor add one 15 oz. can of Cannellini Beans that have been rinsed and drained, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of fresh Italian parsley (loosely packed) and blend until smooth with some smalls lumps.  Salt and pepper to taste.


Transfer the mixture to a serving dish.  Uuuuummmm, doesn't that look good?


Take your whole pita discs and cut them in half and then into 8 wedges and lay out on a baking sheet. I used whole wheat pitas rather than regular because that was all I had available and they were delicious.


Drizzle 4 tablespoons of olive oil over the pitas and sprinkle with the 4 teaspoons oregano, salt and pepper and then toss lightly to coat every piece.

Bake in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until they are toasted and lightly golden in color.


Let them cool before placing them on a serving dish but keep in mind - they will not last long!  Give this quick and yummy recipe a try and let me know what you think or if you have a similar recipe that you would like to share.

White Bean Dip w/Pita Chips

Ingredients You Will Need
1 15 oz. can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
2 Cloves Garlic
2 T fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Olive Oil, plus 4 T
1/4 C fresh Italian parsley Leaves (loosely packed)
Salt to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
6 Pitas
1 t Oregano, dried

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor.  Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl.

Cut each pita in half and then into 8 wedges.  Arrange the pita wedges on a large baking sheet.  Pour the remaining oil over the pitas.  Toss and spread out the wedges evenly.  Sprinkle with the oregano, salt and pepper.  Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until toasted and golden in color.

Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the white bean dip.  Serves 6.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...