Friday, January 24, 2014

Freezer Meals - Taco Soup


I will say it right off the bat that I do not like beans.  Unfortunately for my family, this has kept any form of these little beauties from adorning many of our dinner tables but I just can't help it.  I won't go into which kinds of beans I like or don't like because the list would be long but I will say that I do understand the need for beans in several different dishes - Taco Soup being one of them.

When I threw these dinners together, I don't think that it took me more than 20 minutes and that includes the time it took me to cook the hamburger and onion.  It took about 15 minutes to brown the onion and hamburger and then they had to cool.  After that it was just a matter of splitting everything in half and dumping it into the bags.


I first take two 1 gallon freezer bags and write the following on them:

Directions for Cooking:  Add 1 cup of water and cook on low in crock pot for 4 - 6 hours.  Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado, salsa and shredded cheese.

I then brown 2 lbs of ground beef and the chopped onion in a frying pan, drain and cool.






When the meat is cooled completely, I split the following ingredients between both bags;


1 can of crushed tomatoes w/chiles (or not) into each bag;


Split the bag of frozen corn and put 1/2 into each bag;


1 can of black beans in each bag;


1 can of kidney beans in each bag;


and 1 pkg. of taco seasoning in each bag.


and last but not least, 1 lbs. of ground beef into each bag.


Seal up each bag and squish them to your hearts content (but not too hard, you don't want to bust the bag open!)  When you feel the bags have been sufficiently mixed, lay them flat in your freezer and forget about them.  They should be good for about 3 - 4 months.

I am feeling pretty good about my freezer cooking over the last two weeks.  I have spent about 4 hours in the kitchen prepping, cooking and bagging 12 meals and my freezer is looking fantastic!  It feels great to have some good meals in the freezer that just need to be pulled out, thawed and cooked without much effort. When my daughter comes home from college for a weekend or other people come to visit, I have a meal almost ready to go!

Give this simple recipe a try and let me know what you think.

Taco Soup

2 lb. Ground Beef (browned)
1 Large Onion (chopped)
2 Cans Crushed Tomatoes w/Chiles
1 16 oz. Packed Frozen Corn
2 Cans Black Beans
2 Cans Kidney Beans
2 Packages Taco Seasoning

Split between two freezer bags, seal, mix, lay flat and freeze.

Directions:
Add 1 cup water to your crock pot and turn it on low for 4 - 6 hours.  Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado, salsa and cheese.

ENJOY!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...