Monday, December 30, 2013

Change At Least One Thing In Your Life This Year


As 2013 winds down and the joy and warmth of Christmas starts to fade, the excitement of the new year takes it's place and everything starts to feel new again.  I love this time of year because it gives us a new beginning on a regular basis to start over, to try something new, get rid of a bad habit or just feel like we have another opportunity to get control over our lives.  

I've never been one to make New Years Resolutions but I do believe that trying to change one or two things each year can help those around me to know how much I love them, assist me in getting my life more in order (is that possible?) and last but certainly not least help me to feel a little bit better about myself.

There are so many ideas out there that I really couldn't list them all so I have just listed below my top 20. Pick out just one and do your best to carry it out throughout the year.  I'm not going to list explanations of why these things are good ideas because you already know why they are.  It is easier to commit to one change rather than several but if you can do more than one, go for it!

1.     Make an effort to befriend someone who needs a friend 
2.     Judge less
3.     Listen before speaking
4.     Start organizing
5.     Save money
6.     Be of service to someone
7.     Exercise more
8.     Learn to do something new
9.     Take a trip
10.   Eat healthier 
11.   Get a new job
12.   Manage stress better
13.   Improve a relationship
14.   Set aside time for yourself
15.   Stop trying to be perfect
16.   Pray more and draw closer to God
17.   Smile more
18.   Do something you normally wouldn't do
19.   Say "I love you more" to the people you love
20.   Enjoy your life to the fullest!

We are all in different places and circumstances in our lives so when you are contemplating what change you are going to make, be sure that you are doing it to better yourself and your situation.  This isn't a selfish way to look at these changes because as you are improving, people around you are benefiting.  It's a win - win!

One more list because I love them so!  Below are the steps to help you pick and keep a New Years goal, resolution or commitment - whatever you want to call it.  Once you have chosen a goal or two this short list of 6 steps will help you follow through.

1.  Pick something you really want to do - this will make follow-through easier.
2.  Only pick one or two things - that way you are more likely to achieve the goal.
3.  Be specific - I always do better when I know specifics ahead of time.
4.  Have a plan - Think it through, work it out but be prepared to be flexible.
5.  Write it down - Putting things in writing makes them feel more official/legal!
6.  Tell someone your plan - It is important to have cheerleaders.

If you have a creative and fun idea for a New Year goal/resolution/commitment, leave it below in the comment section.  It would be wonderful to have an even bigger list for next year and I am sure that there are far more interesting and fun ideas out there than I have shared here in this post!

You only have about two days left so you should get busy on picking at least one thing that will help you become a better person - the person you want to become this year.

Happy New Year!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...